Monday, September 15, 2008

Giller Prize Longlist announced. . .

So, what do I know? My pick for winner (for the record, it was Miriam Toews' The Flying Troutmans) didn't even make the longlist. I'm not out of the contest yet (my colleague is ahead 8 points to 5) but I've already told him to pick his restaurant. Phooey. Nice to see a couple of short story collections on the list. I'm surprised the small presses were mostly ignored, especially with Atwood on the jury, but there you have it. I'd love for Steven Galloway to win but wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Lane takes it.

Anyways, here's the longlist. The shortlist will be announced on October 7th and the winner on November 11th.

The Lost Highway by David Adams Richards
The Retreat by David Bergen
Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden
More by Austin Clarke
Barnacle Love by Anthony De Sa
The Sealed Letter by Emma Donaghue
Good to a Fault by Marina Endicott
The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway
Cockroach by Rawi Hage
Blackstrap Hawco by Kenneth J. Harvey
Red Dog, Red Dog by Patrick Lane
The Withdrawal Method by Pasha Malla
The Ravine by Paul Quarrington

No comments: