Monday, November 26, 2007

The Bad Sex Award nominees. . .

I'm not sure whether to laugh or be slightly embarrassed that so many of the nominees for this year's Bad Sex Award are published by the company I work for. But at least we're certainly getting some - bad or good. Actually I feel rather smug about Ian McEwan's nomination; I remember reading On Chesil Beach in manuscript last year and running around the office with the scene in question, asking my colleagues if they thought this was a candidate for the Bad Sex award or possibly just an example of the most brilliant writing ever? (The book also duly made the Booker shortlist). It certainly will change how you forever view French kissing. I won't give anything away, but suffice it to say that dental work and gag reflexes are involved.
Some of the other nominees include:
Jeanette Winterson for The Stone Gods (we're publishing this next May)
Ali Smith for Girl Meets Boy (also coming to Canada next May)
Gary Shteyngart for Absurdistan
Norman Mailer for The Castle in the Forest
and David Thewlis for The Late Hector Kipling (I'm currently half-way through this one, having been charmed and entertained by Thewlis's reading last month at the International Festival of Authors - I'm loving it so far, bad sex or not).
You can read the full list of nominees here. The winner is announced tomorrow.

No comments: