Friday, November 20, 2009

Slow Cooking is Fast Becoming This Season's Latest Trend. . .



My weekend project is definitely to go out and buy a slow cooker. My colleague comes in every Monday morning gushing about the latest recipe she's made out of Canadian Living's new Slow Cooker Collection and it just seems the perfect type of cooking to be doing in the fall and winter. It's also energy efficient, great for budgets and I think it'll make my apartment smell really good. The book is beautiful - there are tips on choosing a slow cooker and how to convert your favourite recipes into slow food ones. I'm fairly amazed at the variety of recipes and types of meals that can be concocted out of this method of cooking. My friend swears by the Boeuf Bourguignon (much easier and quicker to make than Julia Child's famous recipe), the Smoky Pork Stew and the Thai Green Curry Chicken. There's also a section for desserts and the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding Cake looks heavenly!
Lucy Waverman's new cookbook, A Year in Lucy's Kitchen, organizes the recipes and meal suggestions around seasonal ingredients, though certainly they can all work at any time of the year. But I turned to the November chapter for some ideas and the theme was - slow cooking! There is a recipe for Spiced Braised Lamb Shanks that has me salivating.

No comments: