Monday, March 3, 2008

Screwball delights


The weekend Guardian had this great piece by one of my favourite writers - A.L. Kennedy (who moonlights as a stand-up comedien) reviewing a film festival in London celebrating Hollywood's screwball comedies of the 1930s and 1940s. I love in particular this Kennedy quip:

The screwball casts were iconic. If you want to know why my adult life has been constantly tinged with disappointment, consider that I grew up believing glorious creatures along the lines of Cary Grant and Clark Gable and James Stewart were, if not commonplace, then at least occasionally available. The women? They made me believe that being a woman might turn out to be great. They were fantastic.

I couldn't agree more. If you're in London, I'm envious; these movies would be great to see on the big screen. However, many of these films are available on DVD - they'll certainly beat anything playing at your local cineplex.

No comments: