Wednesday, December 3, 2008

New York Times Picks Their Ten Best Books for 2008. . .



The New York Times has just announced its Ten Best Books for 2008 - I always hope that I've read at least one book on this annual list. This year (hooray) I've read three (with one already on the bedside table awaiting the holidays). Two of them were my own Dewey picks and the other made my Top Ten List as well. I'm quite proud of my company which (in Canada) publishes or distributes eight out of the ten books. In the U.S. they publish nine out of the ten which is quite an extraordinary achievement for a single year. We're usually pretty happy if we get one book on this list.

Here's the list:
Fiction:

Dangerous Laughter by Steven Millhauser
A Mercy by Toni Morrison
Netherland by Joseph O'Neill
2666 by Roberto Bolano
Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri

Nonfiction:

The Dark Side by Jane Mayer
The Forever War by Dexter Filkins
This Republic of Suffering by Drew Gilpin Faust
The World Is What It Is by Patrick French

No comments: