Sunday, July 12, 2009

In Praise of Cycling. . .



It's Tour de France time again, and I'm up at the crack of dawn every weekend to watch it live on the internet (rooting for Bradley Wiggins and Alberto Contador this year). Biking has become a bit of an obsession with me this summer ever since I acquired my latest baby a few months ago - a Dahon foldable bike. I have the Speed D7 model and I absolutely love it. You can see in the photo above how compact it is when folded - perfect for my tiny apartment hallway, and despite the small wheels, it goes surprisingly quickly and the seven gears easily allow me to tackle hills (albeit slowly). I'm trying to do the 40km of my roundtrip work commute at least once a week.

Now I wear sports gear and change at work, but a friend of mine (thanks Ron!) who is a serious cyclist, sent me this link to the annual Brompton (another foldable bike company) World Championships, taking place near Blenheim Palace, not far from Oxford. It's a 13km race open to both sexes - the fun part is that there's a dress code! Blazer, shirt and tie are mandatory. I think I've just added another item to my bucket list.

Ron also points me to The Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne (of Talking Heads fame) coming this fall. It chronicles his adventures and thoughts as he cycles around the world's greatest cities - seated on his foldable bike. I'll definitely be reading this one.

No comments: