Friday, July 31, 2009

We all scream for ice cream. . .

Love this story in The Guardian about an American librarian starting a campaign to get Ben & Jerry's to name an ice cream flavour in honour of libraries. My favourite of the many ideas being pitched - Gooey Decimal System, which "could combine dark fudge alphabet letters with caramel swirls in hazelnut ice-cream". Yum.

Ice cream tastes pretty good after a bike ride - The Guardian also has a list of good summer cycling reads. In particular, I've now added Tim Krabbé's The Rider to my reading pile (an existential cycling novel in translation - oh, yes please! ) and Paul Fournel's Need For the Bike. Fournel is a member of the experimental writing group OULIPO. Yep, another one for me. I ran this list by my friend Ron who reads every bicyling book under the sun. He also recommends Heft on Wheels by Mike Magnuson, Ten Points by Bill Strickland, One More Kilometre and We're In the Showers by Tim Hilton and for some Canlit content, Darryl Whetter's novel The Push & The Pull, which I remember being one of Susan's Dewey picks when it first came out.

No comments: