Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Dewey Divas and Dudes Top 5 Books: Linda's Picks!

Let's continue with our Top Books of 2013! These recommendations have been very helpful to me so far, reminding me of those books that have fallen off my radar, and helping me out with those tough-to-buy-for people on my list. Next, I called on Linda Ludke, librarian and children's materials selector of the London Public Library. As a trusted book lover, I knew I could count on her for some fantastic titles and this time we are starting to see some repeats (they must be that good!). Here are Linda's picks:

1. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (St. Martin's Press)

"This swoon-worthy book brought me back to a time when love often blossomed with the exchange of a mix tape. I would sit with these characters on a bus trip any day." 








2. The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Toren (Doubleday)

"I liked how Adam wasn’t just defined by his OCD- he was also a teen in love, a son dealing with divorce.  It was very realistic and at times laugh-out-loud funny."








3. Jane, the Fox and Me by Fanny Britt, Illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault (House of Anansi)

"There are so many beautifully created, quiet scenes in this graphic novel that pack an emotional wallop. Arsenault’s illustrations are as eloquent as ever."







4. Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan (Penguin)

"Willow Chance’s story of grief and loss and love is so incredibly touching.  She is a character I kept thinking about long after I put the book down."








5. That is Not a Good Idea by Mo Willems (HarperCollins)


"This book is a silent movie that stars a dastardly fox villain, a wide-eyed ingĂ©nue goose and an audience of wing-flapping chicks. Mo Willems’ comedic timing is brilliant."

No comments: